Are you waiting for someone to give you permission to be successful? Do you need specific circumstances or factors to be in place before you can succeed? Are there “conditions” that have to be met before you can move ahead toward your goals?
I have found that many people limit their potential by saying (mostly to themselves), “I’ll be successful when….” They then wait for the circumstances, people or other factors that they imagine are necessary for their success to magically appear in their lives. And they often wait a long time, and frequently become discouraged.
They have made their success depend on someone else giving them permission, or for the”right” circumstances to materialize. They have surrendered control of their lives to someone or something outside themselves.
I’ve done this to myself. My list includes such things as, “I’ll be successful when:
1. I have $200k in my retirement fund. (Only $180k to go.)
2. I can retire at 60. (Five years from now?!)
3. I’ve won the Mega Millions lottery – minimum $150M please. (Haven’t bought my ticket yet…)
4. I’ve traveled to all 25 of the foreign countries on my wish list. (Only 12 to go.)
Not likely I’m going to feel very successful anytime soon. I’ve set myself up to fail.
It would be better if I looked at success another way. Using the right yardstick makes all the difference. Here are some of the high points so far:
1. Happily married for nearly 26 years.
2. Raised 2 smart and successful daughters, both now with careers of their own.
3. Encouraged my wife to get back into her chosen profession and supported her while she grew her small business into a full-time job.
4. Remodeled my own kitchen for $4500 instead of spending $17,000 to have someone else do it.
In other words, if I define my life in a balanced yet realistic way, I can find success. Now all I need to do is build on my past successes.
So don’t wait for the right time, circumstances or resources to be in place before you say you are successful. Look honestly at what you have already achieved, and the skills that you used to accomplish these things. Take these skills and put them to work for you in other areas of your life. They are your key to becoming even more successful. And you already possess them.